Restarting your Xfinity modem can help resolve common issues such as Wi-Fi connectivity, slow internet speed, or device compatibility. Another reason is if you have changed your router settings and need to reset it to those settings. It takes only a few minutes and you don’t lose any home network settings.
What to Know:
- To restart your modem online, log in to your Xfinity account using your browser and Xfinity ID and password. Go to Manage Internet > Restart Modem and click on Start Troubleshooting.
- To restart your modem using the Xfinity app, open the app on your smartphone and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password. Go to Connection Trouble > Restart Gateway and confirm that you want to restart your modem.
- To restart your modem manually, unplug and plug back in the power cable of your modem. Wait for it to reinitialize and reconnect to the internet.
Restart Your Modem Online
You can restart your modem online by logging in to your Xfinity account using your Xfinity ID and password. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to xfinity.com/myaccount and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
- Scroll down and select Manage Internet.
- Select Restart Modem to begin troubleshooting.
- Select Start Troubleshooting to begin your modem restart.
This process may take up to 10 minutes approx, and your internet will be offline. You will see a confirmation message when the restart is complete.
Restart Your Modem Using the Xfinity App
You can also restart your modem using the Xfinity app, available on the App Store and Google Play. You will need to sign in with your Xfinity ID and password to use this option. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Xfinity app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Scroll down and select the Internet tab.
- Select your modem, then select Restart this device.
- Confirm that you want to restart your modem.
This process may take up to 7 minutes and your internet will be offline during this time. You will see a confirmation message when the restart is complete.
Restart Your Modem Manually
You can also restart your modem manually by unplugging and plugging back in the power cable. This option works for any modem, whether it is an Xfinity Gateway or a third-party device. Here are the steps to follow:
- Locate the power cable of your modem and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Wait for one minute before plugging it back in.
- Wait for your modem to reinitialize and reconnect to the internet.
This process may take a few minutes, depending on your device model and settings.
If you have restarted your Xfinity modem and you are still having problems with your internet connection, there are a few troubleshooting tips that you can try:
- Check the cables: Make sure that all of the cables connecting your modem to your router and to your devices are properly connected.
- Move your modem: If it is in a crowded or noisy area, try moving it to a different location.
- Restart your router: If you have a separate router, try restarting it.
- Contact Xfinity customer service: If you have tried all of the above and are still having problems, contact Xfinity customer service for help.
- Xfinity Modem Router Blinking Green: How to Fix It
Hold the WPS button on the back of the device for 15 seconds until the lights turn off. This will restore your modem to its factory default settings, including your WiFi name and password. Reactivate your gateway and reconnect your devices after the reset.
To reset your modem with the reset button, you need to use a paper clip or pen to gently press and hold the button until the lights on the front of the modem turn off.
Restart your router by unplugging and plugging back in the power cable, or by using the Xfinity app or website. If that does not work, reset your router by using the reset button or the admin tool. Reactivate your gateway and reconnect your devices after the reset.